Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Giant Trip

Another day, another adventure. Some of the pictures you are about to see are not in chronological order but I just picked out a few of my favorites from my latest download. I would love to put up more but I do not want to spoil the book. For those of you who have yet to purchase one and would like to reserve your copy, you can send me an email and let me know.

This weekend we took a trip to Leshan to see the Giant Buddha. What an amazing spectacle. It was a two hour bus ride out but well worth it. We stopped at some local restaurant for lunch which was pretty good. Not as good as the street food in Chengdu but it will do. We used our Id's to get the student rate. I forgot to bring my school id so I used my drivers license. It was no problem because they had no idea what it said.

We made our way in up the steps and there were chinese characters carved into the side of the mountain everywhere. I have no Idea how they did it. It was beautiful. Finally we reached the top to find an amazing temple and a view of the head.



Skitch


The Giant Buddha is larger than the statue of Liberty and completely carved into the side of the mountain. all the work was done by hand and I have no idea how they did it. It was such an awesome display of skill and engineering. The steps to get down were quite narrow. I think I was the biggest person there and I know that the steps were not made for people my size. The crowd was intense. It felt like we were at an amusement park.


Skitch


It was even more amazing from the bottom. The toe is bigger than me!!!!


Skitch


I have so many amazing pictures from here that I could not show them but I can't wait to share. It is truly a spiritual place.
Afterwards, on our walk out we spotted some delicious bird on a stick. Joe decided he was going to try it. I have no idea why but he did. Unfortunately he was sick for two days after.


P1020121


It was time for a bathroom break so I thought I would share the experience. WARNING!!The following picture is gross.


Skitch


I know that is disgusting but i want you all to enjoy this journey and really feel like you are here. Notice that there is no toilet seat. The Chengdu way is to squat!! You can relax though because I have a regular toilet in my hotel room.



Finally, I thought I would finish this blog off with a moment of Zen. Just relax and enjoy this nice bicycle ride with me.



Skitch




Until Next Time......

Have a Safe Journey
yílù píngān
一路平安

4 comments:

Zachary said...

That looks amazing! So glad you are having a great time out there.

Susie Linquist said...

Wow! This is my favorite post to date! I LOVE the bike shot. I really do feel like I am experiencing this trip with you. xoxo

Mike said...

Dude... we all know that's the toilette from John Carroll. Your not fooling anyone!

Looks like your having an amazing time. Thanks for sharing!

Amy Leigh
Holistic Health Counselor
said...

Traveling vicariously to China is so great! Thank you so much for sharing! I can't wait for the book!