Saturday, April 19, 2008

Time for a Break!!!

This post is happening because it is time for me to take a break. I have been go, go, go since I got here and I would not trade it in for the world. I can't even express how much fun I am having in Chengdu. I'm even more excited because my dad will be joining me next week and I can't wait to share the Adventure with him. Although, I do have to say that I miss my wife. It's hard to have so much fun without her, but from what I hear she is enjoying having the house to herself in silence with out any bad jokes for a couple weeks. I guess I understand. In my opinion the jokes are not bad. I would say that they are not quite perfected yet and she is my test subject.


Now, back to the reason you all are here. This is generally how the evenings begin after lecture. We meet at the bamboo bar, which we named for obvious reasons, and have a beer. The water is not exactly clean so it's either bottled water or beer.


Skitch

Snow Beer is cheaper and tastes delicious. After a while we meet with Tantan and head out for dinner. We don't always go to dinner together but is sure is a treat when Tantan picks the restaurants. Each restaurant is generally a short bus ride, bike ride or short walk away.


Skitch

Like I said before, there are a crazy number of restaurants around.


This week I was in the Pediatric department for a couple of days. The kids here are so cute and they always know to stick out their tongue and let the doctor take their pulse. They are so well behaved.


Skitch


On Thursday we took a field trip to one of the 3 largest Herb Markets in the world. This place was huge. It was like a swap meet on steroids.


Skitch
Look how Fresh and Red the Hong Hua is!!!
Skitch


Ginseng Anyone!!!

Skitch


After we left the market we stopped at a museum of Traditional Chinese Medicine. We were all really tired but it was very cool.


Skitch


These are some Old Books. I can't wait until my Chinese is good enough to read something like this.


Skitch


This is my favorite place to eat. It's a little outdoor market and you just pick the food you want, put it in your basket, tell them no MSG (even though that doesn't guarantee anything) and then Chow Down!!


Skitch


And then we talk about music until the beer is gone. Luckily we have the old stand by for those days when there was too much beer.


Skitch


I would have to say that I am letting loose a little bit on this adventure and it feels good. I spent the last 4 years of my life studying 6 days a week with the 7th being only a half day of study. Thank goodness that it's over, a bittersweet ending but right now it's a little heavier on the sweet side.


Skitch

I just thought I would throw that one in. I really like it because I think I'm the best looking of all these guys.



And now for your Moment of ZEN!!!!


Skitch



我得走了
wǒ děi zǒu le
I Have to Leave,

4 comments:

Mike said...

Looks like BIG fun in little China!

JulieIanni said...

Jeremy, these pictures are so fascinating! I am so pleased that you're enjoying your time there, and so happy to be included! ROCK ON!

Zachary said...

Great post!

Amy Leigh
Holistic Health Counselor
said...

You are definitely the best looking of all of them!